[Baobab trees store up to 35000 gallons of water in their trunks to weather dry seasons.]
The third National Park of my Tanzanian adventure, Tarangire is distinct from both the vast plains of the Serengeti and the paradisical crater of N'gorogoro, not least because its chief environmental feature is the huge Tarangire River, which defines the park's landscape and sustains its ecosystem. The river valley draws enormous herds of zebra, giraffe, elephant, and wildebeest, and it provides a rich feeding ground for birds, birds, birds, and more birds. About 550 species of bird make their home in the riparian zone.
I don't think I saw 550 species of birds, but I did see a lot of them, like this maribou stork fighting with a fisher eagle over some kind of fish, and the aptly named superb starling.
Plains zebra
Maasai giraffe
Superb starling
Red hornbill
Egyptian goose
Black-headed heron
Waterbok
Harvester termite mound
Elephant
Namacua dove
Lilac roller
Weaver birds and nests
Wattled starling (on backs of zebra)
Ground plover
Warthog
Maribou stork
African fish eagle
Gray-headed kingfisher
Saddle-billed stork
Hyrax
Dik dik
Nile monitor lizard
Lion
Ashy starling
[Mama and baby giraffe]
Three National Parks and countless critters over 4 days: I think I made the most of my time in the wildlands of Tanzania, and of my first-ever trip to the African continent. It was like no place I've ever visited before, and I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to wander around Tanzania's literal high points and wide open spaces. I would go so far as to say that it was worth the stomach bug that jumped on as a last-minute stowaway and accompanied me on my 25-hour travel home. I welcome all of Tanzania's critters, giant or microscopic.






No comments:
Post a Comment